But, sleeping on the ground is not always the most comfortable experience, is it?
This is why you need a decent air mattress or a self-inflating one.
However, with so many air mattresses on the market, it’s hard to know which one to pick. This is why so many backpackers and campers often end up disappointed.
Check out our comparative guide below, where we’ve reviewed both self-inflating and air mattresses to find the best camping mattress for you.
|Coleman ComfortSmart Cot||Best Overall|
|Intex Inflatable Camping Mattress||Budget Pick|
|Better Habitat CertiPUR-US SleepReady Memory Foam Floor & Camping Mattress. Twin||Upgrade Pick|
1. Coleman ComfortSmart Cot
Other cots are made only of wood frames, but Coleman builds their canopy frame with tough steel and creates the frame using this combination rather than interlocking parts. The steel is powder coated, making it durable throughout its lifespan and resistant to weather damage.
Apart from steel frame durability, the steel axle is made of zinc, a metal that works hard to resist rusting. This goes well for the powder coating as well.
You know that you are in for a comfortable night’s sleep when you and your family pile into this canopy frame that has a built-in headboard. However small the space you have to work with, this bed won’t take away much of it. The canopy is relatively small.
2. LaidBackPad Memory Foam Camping Sleeping Pad
- Quick Pin Connectors prevent loss of air
- Holds air extremely well
- Easy to deflate/collapse
- VERY comfortable – in fact way more comfortable than a typical air mattress.
- Hard to inflate, recently improved so easier to inflate.
- Memory foam conforming to your body can result in joint pain if sleeping on it too long.
- Comparing to other self inflating pads, there is no way to inflate to 100% (slowly, with enough time it will get to about 80-90%).
GREAT for Backpacking, Tenting, Camping, Hiking, Climbing, Fits in a Backpack, Comfortable XL Camping Mat.
This camping mattress from Laid Back pads is truly outstanding. Our research indicates that once you lay down on this mattress, you will never want to go back to a regular air mattress.
The patented Quick Pin connectors make it very easy to connect the mattress to your sleeping bag.
3. QOMOTOP Auto-Inflating Camping Mattress,Single/Double Size Auto-Inflation Camping Sleeping Air Pad
This camping pad is definitely on the heavier side, but the trade off is comfort and ease of use. It is expandable from 58 x 26 cm to 72 x 32 cm, which makes it suitable for multiple sizes of people.
The best part about this product is that it’s very easy to set up with the help of the air valve deflating pump, where you can easily adjust the firmness you want after setting it up.
In addition, the valve allows you to control the firmness of the mattress, with inflating it a little for more support, and blowing in more air for a softer sleeping surface.
4. Etekcity Upgraded Camping Air Mattress
- Includes a convenient storage bag
- Sturdy material
The Etekcity camping air mattress is a feature-packed inflatable bed for camping, camping trips and home emergencies. The mattress is equipped with a rechargeable pump and a built-in air compressor, which make inflation so easy and fast.
Although this mattress is pricier than your average inflatable mattress, it will handle your outdoor activities well with its heavy gauge PVC construction.
This makes it sturdy enough for regular camping but lightweight enough for short-term emergencies. These mattresses are easy to deflate and store.
5. EnerPlex No Outlet Needed Luxury Series Twin Air Mattress
- ¼ inch thick, custom flocked top for your comfort
- Double coated PVC material; 10,000 back-pumps guarantee a firm and durable product
- Max holding capacity is 660 pounds; ideal for up to two persons
- Field-tested material means a durable product ¾ warranty on manufacturer defects; no-leak guarantee for five years
- Upgraded pump with fast inflation and deflation, combined with automated air pressure controls
- Durable, puncture resistant inflation, pump and deflation valves with rubber to ensure durability and long use
- Requires 2-3 hours of charging to reach 70% capacity
- More expensive than ordinary traditional air mattresses.
- The included screw-type air pump may be difficult to use or understand, and has a tad bit of leak.
- Higher price than other competing air mattresses in its class
The best inflatable mattresses tend to have a lot of moving parts that can be difficult to learn. If you’re looking for your first air mattress, the EnerPlex is a great option for you.
It includes the dual-air pump, a bed frame, and an outlet adapter. Detailed instructions are included in the manual
6. Lunvon Twin Air Mattress
Whether comfort is your ultimate goal or you want a compact and light option that won'st let you down in the field, with this twin air mattress you can be sure you’ll find the perfect solution for your needs.
Whether you’re looking for a versatile and comfortable alternative to your bed at home or you’re in search of an RV inflatable that doesn’t take up too much room, the Lunvon Twin Air Mattress makes the perfect companion when you’re planning a trip away.
Another great feature of this air mattress that we liked very much is the automatic shutoff valve. This technology prevents accidental deflation while you’re away from the mattress, which greatly increases the safety of your overall setup.
7. IFORREST Sleeping Pad
If you're looking for a sleeping pad that is suitable for car camping or short backpacking trips and want a lot of comfort, this IFORREST sleeping pad is your ticket.
This sleeping pad's top and bottom material is a unique blend of soft and durable polyester, while the comfort layer is made of a mix of foam and fiber which gives it a firm feel without being too hard.
8. ELTOW Cozy Folding Camping Cot
- A great value for the price
- Very comfortable for many people
- Very easy to fold out
- The mattress is foldable to make it easy to fit in vehicles, but it is still durable
- Gets your back off the ground for easy and comfortable sleeping
- Easy to assemble, only 15 minutes
This camping mattress is raised above the ground to provide much needed comfort for those who want to improve their rest when they are staying out in the wild. The mattress comes ready made as a queen and is supportive for up to 400 pounds. There is an 8 Inch thick foam sleeping pad that is machine washable and a built-in pillow. The sides are 1680D Oxford fabric that is very weather resistant to prevent leaks and any damage from weather. With a weight of only 17.5 pounds it is very easy to carry whether you have a spare hand or not. For easy transportation, it can be folded up into a convenient smaller size and is made from steel.
9. Therm-a-Rest MondoKing 3D Self-Inflating Foam Camping Mattress
- Built in USA with renewable and recyclable materials
- Durable and light
- Dual-layer design
- More affordable than many top mattresses
- Very comfortable for side sleepers
- Gets harder and hotter with temp than some of its rivals
- Might not float because of submersible design
As campers have gotten smarter about the gear that they bring and the places that they go, one of the most important items that one needs to have is a mattress that provides enough insulation and comfort. This is even more important for people that camp in warmer weather.
The Therm-a-Rest sleeping mattress is an excellent option for those looking for a quality air-mattress which is also very affordable. It has gotten a lot of invaluable feedback from users that have given it a 5-star rating.
The Therm-a-rest brand has been around since the ’60s, and they have well and truly set the standard for camping gear. Their mattress is made with light-weight, durable materials to help you have a great outdoor experience.
10. Air Mattress
- Double grid design meet EN-71-1-2-3 standard
- Exclusive 360-Degree Airflow Channel Design
- 4 corner air valves for quick inflation and deflation
- Built-in pillow and electric pump
- 100% eco-friendly materials
- Built-in air valve for continuous air flow
- With built-in AC electrical pump
- Good for home indoor and outdoor camping travel use
- Tends to over-inflate
- AC pump is not the best
- Warranty issues
Conclusion: If you are looking for a new camping experience and you want quality for your buck Air Mattress with Built in Pillow and Electric Pump Air Bed Air Mattress for Office Blow Up Elevated Inflatable Airbed for Camping (Blue-Queen Size) is a great pick. This air mattress is highly cost effective and great for beginners.
11. KingCamp Lightweight Camping Air Bed 2 Person Sleeping Pad Mattress PVC-Free
- Light and simple
- Doesn’t need batteries
- Very affordable
- Not warm enough in cold weather
- Material is not durable
Here’s another simple and affordable option for you. You can choose these if you prefer simplicity and portability.
These mattresses have good durability and will likely last you for a while. They’re lightweight, puncture-resistant, and have PVC-free material.
The only issue is that they are not very durable or warm enough for cold weather. So if the temperature dips below 45 to 50 F, you may have to look elsewhere.
12. Coleman Quick Bed Single High Airbed Mattress
- It’s exceptionally durable
- The mattress is easy to inflate
- Has a soft top
- The smaller size is easy to fit into the tent
- Comes with repair patches and a carrying bag
- Very affordable when compared to other camping mattresses
- It’s large enough for most people (up to 6’3”)
- It’s heavier than other comparable models
- The Coleman QuickBed might seem a little bouncy for some people
- Some people noticed that even if they kept it fully inflated, the mattress will slowly deflate during the night..
The Coleman Quickbed is a simple mattress that does what it is supposed to do and does it well.
The high profile construction keeps you off the cold and hard ground. However, the soft top keeps you from being completely off the ground.
The bottom line when it comes to considering buying a mattress for your new tent is this: if you’re a big person (6′3″), or if you’re planning to bring another person or child along, shopping for the best camping mattress might be an important investment.
13. Coleman Camping Cot
Sleeping on this sleeping cot seems like an ordinary cot because of its durability, but if you want you can easily convert it to a tent with the added netting and poles included in the package. Some people also use it as a spare bed for visitors.
For this product, you can rely on the Coleman brand name since it’s one of the well-known manufacturers in the camping gear industry.
The Coleman Camping Cot, Air Mattress, and Pump Combo is one of the safest cots in the market because it uses Coleman’s AirTight system to ensure that nobody in the family gets an unwanted leak. This also makes it easier to blow up, as you only need to push the air pump and the bed will be ready in no time.
14. Lightspeed Outdoors 2 Person PVC-Free Air Bed Mattress
- Inflates quickly and easily
- Durable construction and fabric
- Side storage pockets
- Soft, comfortable sleeping surface
- Resists mildew, stains and punctures
- Super lightweight
The Lightspeed Outdoors PVC-free Air Bed Mattress is one of the most popular on the market. Its rugged vinyl construction makes it hard to tear, and the double valve makes it easy to inflate. It features an internal coil system that helps to evenly distribute air. The vinyl cover/mattress also prevents you from having to spend additional money on a mattress cover or pad (you’ll use a fitted sheet in lieu of an add-on pad).
This mattress is ideal for backpacking, camping, or for your kid’s weekend sleepover. It’s also ideal for unexpected guests. No matter what you may be using it for, it’s a pretty good price for those on a budget. You’ll get an incredibly comfortable mattress that goes for a fraction of the cost or expense of a hotel mattress.
15. KingCamp Deluxe Series Thick Self Inflating Camping Sleeping Pad Foam Mat Mattress
- This thick camping mattress is perfect for outdoor adventures;
- You can use it on a boat, or on the ground without damaging it;
- It comes with a carrying bag, which is good for outdoor adventures;
- This pad is a self-inflating mat which is really convenient;
- It is a waterproof triple layer sleeping pad;
- The included pump also works great.
- There is a slight chemical smell, but this will go away within a short period of time;
- This is a thick pad which might heat you up, but there are thinner ones available.
16. Coleman Trailhead II Cot
- Quick and easy setup
- Includes a carry bag
- Great for camping on rough ground
- Cannot be left outside in the rain
The Coleman Trailhead II Cot offers lots of versatility. It measures 84 by 23 inches, so it’s ideal for adults. It also has a weight capacity of 300 pounds. The cot folds quickly and easily, making it great for when you’re traveling with a large group.
The Coleman Trailhead II has a tubular steel frame with plastic end caps for increased durability. The cot is very stable, so kids will have no problem sleeping on it.
The cot also comes with a padded sleeping surface for comfort, which is easy to remove and clean. The Coleman Trailhead II Cot has a built-in back support system, while the leg end features game pockets for storing items like binoculars, flashlights, camera, or water bottles.
17. WEY&FLY 2in1 Camping Air Mattress
- Relatively easy to inflate and deflate – for an air mattress
- Very comfortable and easy to modify, as necessary
This is a relatively new mattress design because it combines two of common elements of the camping world. This portable camping mattress feels more like an inflatable lounge chair than an air mattress, and yet when it comes time to sleep, the attached pump inflates the mattress in very short order.
This 2 in 1 design also provides more air. The designers have accomplished this by inserting large air flow valves inside the mattress. Some people buy camping mattresses because they remember their boards from summer camp and want another. These new mattresses do the job for a “camping home” affair.
18. Oasis Coleman Deluxe Folding Cot
- Amazing quality for a really good price
- Perfect for a weekend camping
- Very comfortable
- Not the best choice for people over 300 lbs allowance
- A little short for an average height
- A little too heavy (39 lbs) for some people
This really is an amazing product as it is built with the amateurs in mind, so it has a great deal of flexibility. It is very strong and stable, which is just what you need when using a camping mattress, especially if you are on uneven ground. The size is pretty good, too, especially if you are planning on using this for an average height human being. However, if you are particularly tall, this cot is likely to be too short for you. You might want to look for an alternative. This really is one of the best camping cots on the market, as the main selling point is the comfort!
19. Therm-a-Rest Dreamtime Self-Inflating Luxury Foam Camping Mattress
- waterproof membrane
- mesh cover to protect against unwanted insects
- Self-inflating mattress
- A quick inflate/deflate time
If you’re looking for a mattress that will blow up very quickly without compromising the comfort of your camping trip, then you should consider this model from Therm-a-Rest.
The main feature of this mattress is a waterproof polyurethane membrane, which means that if it gets rained on, the mattress will turn into a puddle but won’t make your sleep gear wet. In addition, this material also protects against unwanted insects.
We really like the mesh cover on the top, as it’ll protect you against most bugs, should they bite you. You can also remove the cover if you want, and then wash it. This mattress is great for camping in warm weather.
20. TanXianZhe Self Inflating Mattress
- The portable design and insulated valve allows this to be used with multiple devices.
- This is built with waterproof material and has a tarpaulin on the top. This prevents dampening of the mattress and is easy to clean.
- The fabric used is of durable quality. This is machine washable. If there are punctures, it can be patched.
- This has more resistant to water and has tenfold thicker waterproof layer.
- This can be a twin or a queen bed.
- This can be upsized from 50 by 84 inches to a 74 by 60 inches.
- This fits a camping trailer or any tent. It can also be used for an attic, basement, and shed.
- This can be put away when not in use, so the space occupied is minimal.
- This has an extra-high height of 6 inches, providing comfort and to avoid backaches.
- This is a little heavy but weighs only 12 pounds.
- At 6 inches, it is quite short for tall campers.
21. Better Habitat CertiPUR-US SleepReady Memory Foam Floor & Camping Mattress. Twin
- Can be used inside a tent or outside
- Lightweight and compact
- Made of a combination of foam and air for firmness for support and comfort.
- Can be used on wooden floors and cement
22. OlarHike Twin Air Mattress
- Perfect for vacation trips
- Easy to carry
- Affordable price
- It is perfect for longs days
- The twin size is not really spacious
- The cushion is thin
- It does not hold air for longer time
- Material quality is not very durable
If you are searching for the best camping mattress, one of the best product that you can find in the market today is the OlarHike Twin Air Mattress. This is a lightweight, durable and cost efficient mattress. It is a perfect choice if you want to bring your guest in your trips. There is no risk of you puncturing or damaging the mattress, it is made of high quality material. This mattress is not only supportive but it is also very comfortable to sleep on it especially when you are outdoors.
It is featured with two ports, so you can inflate it fast and easy. As the mattress is very comfortable and it is made of high quality material. It is very stretchable, this is perfect for people who need to sleep in different positions.
23. Intex Inflatable Camping Mattress
- Size perfect for suited to two-man tents
- Comfortable and durable
The Intex Inflatable airbed is an easy and affordable way to have a great night’s sleep while away from home. It features strong, long-lasting PVC with thermoplastic material, easy-to-use integrated valves, and air pump. It is PVC-free for your peace of mind and has PVC-free material for its construction.
This Intex Inflatable airbed for camping is very easy to inflate. Just connect the hose to the nearest external air source, press the pump button to inflate the bed. The pump will automatically shut off when the bed reaches its maximum capacity. It has an internal pillow and a spot to hold your phone or music player.
This airbed will be a perfect addition to your gear for camping or an overnight trip. It is conveniently compact in its carry bag. It may not be soft, but it is a great product at a great value that is well worth trying out.
24. Intex Classic Downy Airbed Set
Overall, this is a great purchase for a quick and easy, inexpensive solution to sleeping on the go. The frame is sturdy and keeps the mattress from sagging and being uncomfortable.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best mattress for camping?
There are quite a few factors to consider when choosing the best camping mattress. The most important is the size and thickness of the mattress, followed by the sleeping pad and the weight of the set. All of those will ultimately determine how comfortable the mattress is and whether or not you can take it on camping trips. What is the best mattress for camping?
The best camping mattress is soft and cushy enough to be comfortable while still being firm enough to support both you and your partner’s weight. A soft mattress feels good at first, but you quickly learn that a firm bed is much better at getting you a good night’s sleep when you have to spend hours on it. Besides, firm mattresses are also good for back support.
What is the top rated mattress for 2022?
The best camping mattress today is the OutdoorsmanLab Ultralight Sleeping Pad. Best Camping Mattress A camping mattress doesn’t necessarily need to offer top of the line padding and insulation. In fact, these features may significantly affect portability and weight of the product. If you’re an outdoor adventurer who values comfort over everything else, invest in the best and lightest camping mattress rather than one that’s a mediocre compromise.
What is the most comfortable bed on the market?
I consider a comfortable mattress to be one that is firm yet soft enough to give the body that sinking feeling. In my opinion, memory foam beds are the most comfortable ones because they conform to your body shape perfectly. However, one key issue
With memory foam beds is durability. Memory foam tends to get deformed with constant use and most memory foam beds are fairly weak. My advice, therefore, is to go for a hybrid mattress for the best comfort, durability, and price. Hybrid mattresses use memory foam for comfort but use much thicker and stronger coils for durability.
What is the most comfortable camp bed?
When looking for the best camping mattress for you, itʼs important to keep in mind that you want something that is compact, lightweight, and easy to inflate and deflate. I also like to have a cover that is water-resistant in case I get caught in the rain.
This first option is the one that most people use when going camping. A traditional sleeping mat goes underneath your sleeping bag and it provides both insulation and padding. The mattress can be used on any surface.
You can get a sleeping mat just about anywhere. For example, Kmart, Target, and Walmart all sell rectangular camping mattresses. I tend to buy my sleeping mat from REI when it comes to traditional mattresses.
When you go camping and hiking, it is all about having a comfortable rest. Sleeping out in the open may be fun, but you may not be resting very soundly on your air mattress or pad, no matter how comfortable it looks. Even if you're trying to be frugal, it is important that you invest in a quality sleeping pad to keep you safe and comfortable during your outdoor adventures, and the best camping mattresses have all of the features you need to keep you safe and comfortable while enjoying the great outdoors.
|Coleman ComfortSmart Cot||Best Overall|
|Intex Inflatable Camping Mattress||Budget Pick|
|Better Habitat CertiPUR-US SleepReady Memory Foam Floor & Camping Mattress. Twin||Upgrade Pick|