If you’re looking for the best canoe paddle, then you’ve come to the right place. I’ve scoured the market for the very best options and put them to the test in both fresh and saltwater. Take a look below!
While the best canoes may be pricey, buying only the right paddles for your canoe is not. That’s why I created this website.
I want you to find the best canoe paddle for you without having to do hundreds of hours of research.
|Attwood 11765-1 Canoe Paddle||Best Overall|
|SeaSense Telescopic Mini Paddle||Budget Pick|
|ZJ Sport Tahiti Type Lightweight Full Carbon Fiber Outrigger Canoe OC Paddle||Upgrade Pick|
1. Attwood 11765-1 Canoe Paddle
- Perfect for beginners
- Great for carrying bags and other items on top
- Rope handles provide extra grip
- Easy to store
Pack of 2.
The Attwood canoe paddle was designed for beginner kayakers. As such, it is lightweight yet durable. Just make sure you dry it as soon as possible after using it. Leave it in a place where it can dry without being damaged, as leaving it in wet conditions can cause metal to rust.
With the straight shaft, molded polypropylene ferrule, plastic blade, and ergonomic molded grip, you’ll have no problem paddling around your favorite lake or calm stream. The grip and handles are also comfortable and easy to hold onto so you won’t have any blisters or cramps.
2. BENDING BRANCHES BB Special Canoe Paddle
- Nice, broad, carbon blade
- Its grip is really good and comfortable
- Compact size, great for extra-long portages
- With its three-layer wood core, this paddle performs like a champion
- Wood core minimizes weight and adds strength
- Constructed from some of the best materials
- Excellent customer service
- Lifetime warranty against defects, great warranty length
- No returns as it is custom made
- Hard to find in stock
- If you are planning to do rough water, this is a bad choice
- Paddle is not adjustable
- Not the best value
- You may need to buy another paddle for big paddlers
This paddle is made for big paddlers and performs great at a good price. It is ready to use out of the box but you might want to sand the edges a little.
3. Bending Branches Black Pearl II Carbon Bent Shaft Canoe Paddle
- Unmatched balance due to the aluminum ferrule and carbon shaft
- Maintains kinetic energy very well
- Comfortable grip and balance
- Ideal for slower moving water
- Nicely priced
- Does not cause hand problems
4. Attwood 11762-1 Wood Canoe Paddle
Canoe paddles can come in all shapes and sizes. Some are meant for racing and are very light and flexible while others are meant for heavy-duty tasks and are much heavier.
We’re happy to have a bit of both kinds in this round-up. The first one, the Attwood 11762-1 Wood Canoe Paddle (5-Feet) is in our opinion a great option for those who are looking for a relatively light and maneuverable paddle to use with smaller boats.
It’s made from high-density fiberglass that’s both lightweight and durable as well as corrosion-resistant. This makes it a great option for beginners who are looking for paddles that are going to stand up to frequent use against rocks and other types of hits and dings.
5. BENDING BRANCHES Arrow Wood Canoe Paddle
This is a great paddle for casual paddlers, rafters or kayakers. It’s tough, durable, and made with natural wood and steel.
It weighs only 16.5 ounces, but it’s capable of handling a lot of weight.
The shaft is made of sturdy black fiberglass and the blade is made of Canadian Maple ash wood.
6. Telescoping Plastic Boat Paddle Collapsible Oar Kayak Jet Ski and Canoe
- Small and compact enough to fit into your boat, yet sturdily-built enough to be used as a paddle
- The handle collapses down so you can easily store it into a smaller boat
- Extremely easy to use and works well on a variety of bodies of water
- Sturdy yet lightweight
- Easy to use
- The paddle itself is a bit lightweight and may not hold up if dropped onto a hard surface
- Not long enough for some tall/large body builds
7. Carlisle Scout Wooden Canoe Paddle
The Carlisle Scout Wooden Canoe Paddle has a beautifully crafted, traditional canoe paddle design. The sleek and sturdy fiberglass blades are designed with a special, pre-grooved design to facilitate an efficient, smooth stroke every time. A one piece shaft on this kayak paddle is fashioned from rust-free aluminum and is fitted with two ergonomic, comfort-grip handholds. Special epoxy-coated rivets on this canoer paddle provide enhanced protection against chipping.
Carlisle outfitted the Scout paddle with a hand-fore-hand grip, providing a more natural feel, comfort, and control than the standard paddle set up. The paddle is crafted from premium grade, hand-selected Scots Pine wood. This is followed by a smooth finish to enhance durability. A secure, comfortable, and easy-to-grip handle is included. There are no metal parts on this kayak paddle.
The pleasing, old-time appearance of the Scout paddle is an appreciated addition to any traditional wood canoe.
8. Bending Branches Slice Glass Solo Canoe Paddle
- Super lightweight
- Works well for one or two people
- Includes everything you need to get started
- Excellent price point
- Durable and floats
- Lightweight and slim
- One Year full satisfaction guarantee
The Bending Branches Slice Glass Solo Canoe Paddle is an incredibly lightweight option and the best wooden canoe paddle available right now. The construction of this paddle is super strong, using a newer resin and fiberglass process and making it more durable than other paddles. This one is super thin in width, making it easier to maneuver through the water. Which it can work for smaller lakes and ponds and ideal for quick use on fishing trips. It includes all the necessary mounting possible so you can attach to your canoe or kayak with ease. The instructions included will teach you how to adjust the length easily so you can get started quickly.
9. Bending Branches Impression Solo Canoe Paddle
- Lightweight portability
- Can handle harsh elements
- Crafted using high-quality materials
- The blade is lightweight and cuts cleanly through water
- The paddle is strong enough so that every stroke drives you forward
- The grip on the handle feels comfortable in your hand
- Inexpensive, and affordable
- When not dismantled, it may be a tad heavy for a canoe lightweight
- May not be suitable for a heavier paddler
The Bending Branches Impression Solo Canoe Paddle is crafted using high-quality materials that will hold up to harsh weather and wear and tear.
Firstly, the Impression Solo canoe paddle is lightweight and that makes it very portable. Canoeing is often done in places where carrying a heavy canoe paddle could prove not a simple feat. This canoe paddle weighs only 26 ounces. It is also designed with a streamlined and lightweight blade. This blade is cut out using modern design technology. It has a seam-free tapered edge with four bevels. This edge is thick enough to cut through water better yet it is light enough to handle efficiently. The water blade is sturdy enough to handle loads of pressure without flinching. The blade is also lightweight to make sure it can propel your canoe swiftly and precisely through the still water.
10. Bending Branches Viper Canoe Paddle
- Build for the outdoors
- Three-year warranty
- 5-star customer reviews
- Aluminum blade for durability
- Very durable
- Less wider width than other brand paddle
- Very long
Comes with 4.10 out of 5 stars
Comes with 4.2 out of 5 stars
Comes with 4.5 out of 5 stars
11. EMSCO Group Kayak Paddle
- Best for kayaks
- Extra-long handle
- Very lightweight
- Standard blade
- Easy to grip
The extra long shaft on this paddle makes it ideal for taller people, while the fibreglass blade makes it ideal for aggressive paddling. The hard-wearing blade is manufactured of extra-strong fibreglass, and the handle is made of tough, durable, lightweight aluminium.
This is a very inexpensive kayak paddle when compared to some of the other quality options available. However, the lightweight fibreglass blade is best suited for fast-track or casual kayaking, and the long, extra-long aluminium handle means better leverage for taller, larger users. This is definitely not a choice for tougher conditions.
12. CISIBOOK Bend Shaft Carbon Fiber Outrigger Canoe Paddle
- Best for kayaking, canoeing, and small boats
- Suitable for a wide variety of sizes and body types
- Well-constructed handles
If you’re on the lookout for the best canoe paddle, then this is one you should consider. It is made from carbon fiber and has an aluminum shaft.
When it comes to paddles, you’d most likely prefer smaller ones that fit in your palm. This is because you can get a better feel of the water’s resistance, and this way you can apply proper rowing technique to you strokes.
This soft grip handle is diamond shaped, making it wider at the top and narrower at the bottom. The paddle head is 35 inches long and 8 inches wide. With these dimensions, you can use it to row boats with different sizes and shapes.
13. Carlisle Economy Aluminum Canoe Paddle
- Great quality
- Strong grip
The Carlisle Economy Aluminum Canoe Paddle with T-Grip is a superbly made folding style canoe paddle that comes at an affordable price.
The Carlisle paddle is built with a solid aluminum shaft and blade which gives it great strength and durability. The wide blade gives a smooth efficient stroke.
The Carlisle paddle is enhanced with an EVA foam composite grip that makes it easy to use and hold. This paddle has an exclusive design that makes it easy for right- or left-handed users. This particular design is conducive for people of all ages and physical conditions.
14. SEAFLO Child Telescoping Afloat Aluminum Shaft Paddle Kayak Canoe Oars
- Very sturdy
- Resists water well
- Adjustment is easy
- Color is attractive
- Good for any child
- Easy to adjust
- Great for any size adult
- Can be used for a variety of different activities
- Needs to be tightened carefully
- Will get tiring if used for a long time
This product has a wide, aluminum blade that’s from tempered 6061 aluminum. This makes it strong and incredibly lightweight. The blade is shaped with rowing techniques in mind and this helps you to maneuver it through the water much more easily.
If you’re looking for a paddle that makes rowing easy for children, then this is worth a look.
For anyone over the age of 8, getting a paddle that’s sized correctly might be a challenge. It’s excellent that this product has a variety of different sizes to choose from.
15. Sun Dolphin Canoe Paddles
- Unique blade design looks cool
- Has a flexible shaft ideal for workout
- Construction appears to be strong and durable
- Comes with a draw string bag
- Can be used by beginners and athletes
- Wood finish looks nice
- Made of high-quality material
- Appears to be well thought out
- Shipped fast
- Ideal customer service
This Sun Dolphin can be used for various paddling sports such as canoes, kayaks, and windsurfing. This canoe paddle is compatible with large canoes and kayaks with a total hip width of 132” and canoe width away of 32”. It can also fit in kayaks with a length of 16” to 16.5”.
This paddle is made from an aluminum shaft and the blades are made from polyethylene foam. It measures 54” long. Check out the customer reviews for this canoe paddle on Amazon. This paddle has received many reviews and many of the reviews rave about how well it’s crafted.
16. ZJ Sport Tahiti Type Lightweight Full Carbon Fiber Outrigger Canoe OC Paddle
- This super lightweight canoe paddle is very easy and comfortable to use
- It has a nice quality build that will give you many years of use
- The carbon fiber material is resilient, thus making this paddle shock resistant
- It will give you a smooth and even stroke
- This paddle can be used for many different kinds of recreational activities such as kayaking, rowing, and canoeing
- This paddle is easy to install and can be used for different ages
- You can store it easily away because it is so flexible
- It is long enough to give you a lot of leverage with not a lot of effort
- It sits comfortably on your hip when you are carrying it
- This paddle is lightweight
- The dual core is more likely to break
- The canoe paddle is lightweight, but it is a little flimsy
- It is made with cheap plastic instead of carbon fiber
Lifetime Warranty: For the sake of customer’s rights, ZJ Sport provides 1-year warranty for all of our products. If there are any quality problems, we promise to offer a 100% refund or free exchange.
17. Propel Paddle Gear SLPG52243 Paddle 5' Aluminum,Multi
- Comes in two sizes (22 and 26 inches) for the paddler’s comfort
- Fits most types of kayaks and canoes
- Doesn’t have a problem getting through water
- The adjustable shaft makes for a good fit
- The design allows the paddler to use it with both hands
- The aluminum-graphite paddle is not heavy and is easy to carry
- It’s a good length
- Easy to attach to boats
- The shorter paddle is not as balanced as the longer one
- Takes some time to get used to it
In order to keep the price low, the paddle comes with a shaft. The paddler will have to purchase the blade separately. It’s good that the paddle comes with a multi-mount system that allows it to be used with different types of boats. For one-sided paddling, the blade can be mounted on the left and right side.
The problem with this paddle that it only comes in 22 and 26 inch lengths. While some people may not feel that this is long enough, others may feel it’s too long for them. We describe the shorter paddle as not being as balanced as the longer one.
18. Bending Branches Java ST Canoe Paddle 56 IN
- Easily implemented in any canoe
This canoe paddle is very good for beginners. It is extremely light and durable, whilst still offering similar performance as heavier, more expensive paddles.
The vented carbon airfoil blade offers excellent tracking, and the lightweight shaft allows it to be easily moved.
19. Carlisle Outfitter Canoe or Rafting Paddle
- Great for recreational canoeing
- Great value for the price
- Durable fiberglass and aluminum construction
Canoeing is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and enjoy doing it with a partner or family members. If you’re thinking about getting into canoeing, then you should consider investing in a good canoe paddle.
If this is a hobby you’re really passionate about, you may want to upgrade to a nicer canoe paddle. But if you’re just getting started, then a good entry-level canoe paddle will get the job done.
The Carlisle Outfitter canoe paddle has a hard plastic grip and aluminum shaft. The blades are made from fiberglass. The Carlisle Outfitter paddle also comes with an adjustable ferrule. This type of paddle will give you a great feel for the water and the amount of power in your stroke.
20. ZJ Sport Hybrid Carbon Outrigger Canoe OC Paddle
- Hybid Polymer Core Composite (High density fiberglass core, waste epoxy, unidirectional carbon)
- Carbon Recovery Technology
- Variable Edge Shape
- 3K Carbon Composite Shaft
- Unidirectional carbon for maximum stiffness and light weight
- Centre Joint System
- Full V component high-density glass composite
- Precision CNC machining
- Made in the USA
The Hybrid Carbon Outrigger Canoe OC Paddle from ZJ Sport is what is commonly referred to as a “touring paddle”. It’s designed to be very light weight, which is important if you plan to carry it while hiking or backpacking.
It’s also a very flexible paddle, which is important if you want to do a lot of recreational paddling and keep your strokes efficient.
The wooden bent shaft allows for a longer reach, reducing fatigue on your hands over long distances. These paddles are great for carrying when you want a more eco-friendly and traditional look.
21. Attwood 11760-1 Canoe Paddle
- Double ended paddle
- Great for leisure boats
The Attwood 11760-1 is great for paddle sports such as canoeing and kayaking because it can double as a double-ended paddle.
The extra-long length of 13 inches is great for larger boats and provides swift and powerful strokes that can cut through water with ease.
At an attractive price, this paddle can help you get a good workout while paddling, especially if you’re wearing a full life jacket.
22. Caviness Marine Twin Stripe Paddle
- Made from non-corrosive materials
- Ideal for all water craft
- Easy to assemble
- Can be used by the whole family
- Doesn’t leave water marks once it dries
- Comes with a limited 3-year warranty
Caviness Marine makes two types of adjustable paddles. A hand paddle which is either one piece or two piece and a sit-on-top kayak paddle. They are helping to solve a common problem that many people encounter while going kayaking.
Kayaking is a great way to spend the day but one issue that people have is having the proper equipment. You need a kayak, paddle, lifejacket, buoyancy vest and you need to be educated on how to use them. The Caviness Marine lifetime warranty needs to be viewed when you purchase this adjustable paddle for your sit-on-top kayak today.
The paddle is adjustable in three different places. The easiest way to change the size would be the slide connector attachments. Put the connector through the hole and you are good to go. This paddle is also easy to shorten as well.
23. SeaSense Telescopic Mini Paddle
- Made by a reputable company
- It can be assembled quickly
- The aluminum shaft is rust resistant and durable
- It has a rubber handle
- It also has an emergency whistle for safety, a compass, and a blade protector
- Not for professionals
- Not very efficient in fast river running
- Low quality materials used
Users recommends this paddle for 5.5-13-meter canoes. It has a retractable anti-drip, which locks the water when the paddle is pulled up and locks it when pushed down.
It also has an easy on and off button at the end of the shaft, which can be unlocked using just one hand. It is sold at a very competitive price.
24. Crooked Creek C10304 Wood Paddle
- Correct length for canoes and kayaks
The paddles have had very good reviews and work perfectly well with… .
These paddles are a great replacement for your old paddles and are easy… .
These paddles are currently one of the best selling paddles at Walmart.
25. Carlisle Youth Ausable Wooden Canoe Paddle
- Great for beginners
- Embossed wood grain for better grip
- Thick Canoe Paddle
- Ideal for a day out on the water
Looking for the best canoe paddle for the money? We’d like to recommend the Carlisle Youth Ausable Wooden Canoe Paddle. It’s a great option for beginners, though serious canoeists may not be crazy about it.
The Carlisle Youth Ausable Wooden Canoe Paddle is designed with a traditional wooden shaft. It also features a smooth, triple laminate smooth, low-inertia blade. The rubber-grip handle and rubber drip rings help keep your hand comfortable and dry and the traditional drop-forged aluminum blade socket provides extra durability.
The paddle is especially ideal for any day out on the water. It’s also great for beginners, thanks to its lightweight construction.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best canoe paddles?
Paddles are the object that makes the canoe go. Needless to say, choosing a good set of paddles can mean the difference between a safe and fun trip and a potentially dangerous one.
When choosing paddles, there are a few things worth looking at:
A. Length depends on the type of canoe and the size of the paddlers.
- Canoes with shallow keels or no keel often require shorter paddles.
- If an adult is going to use a 2-person canoe, one paddler should use a short paddle and the other a long one.
- For a single, taller person in a canoe with a deeper keel, a longer paddle is fine. Pike oar might be needed for high performance.
B. To avoid hand blisters, it’s best to choose a paddle length that makes it easy to hold the paddle in the middle.
How long should your canoe paddle be?
The right canoe paddle length should reach from the ground to your arm pit. That way you can stay lower in the water and not struggle to propel yourself or the canoe forward.
Make sure you understand the difference between hand span and height. A tall person may have a long hand span but it may be too long for his or her canoe paddle length. This is important to consider because hand span alone is not very helpful in determining the length of a paddle. Most paddles can’t be cut either.
What is the best kayak paddle?
There are many factors to consider when picking a kayak paddle for you. Length, blade size, choices, and material are just some of the key elements to consider. Plus you need to think about balancing your paddle with your kayak kayak.
You see, different kayak paddles are designed for different types of water and different types of kayker preferences. For example, if you plan on spending a lot of time in big water, you’ll need a fairly large sized blade and a longer overall paddle length. If you’re a novice, you may want a shorter kayak paddle with a smaller, more easily-manageable blade.
There are many choices when it comes to kayak paddles so it’s best to really think about what you’ll be doing most of the time before you pick one.
Which is easier to paddle canoe or kayak?
The general consensus is that white water kayaking is more difficult than recreational canoe paddling. White-water kayaks have thinner and longer blades compared to recreational canoes which means that kayaks simply roll with the current more easily when you paddle.
Because of this, white-water kayaking requires a lot more paddle strength to steer and maneuver the kayak. And because of the nature of white-water, kayaking requires additional skills like knowing proper safety technique for rivers and rapids, swimming, and rescue skills.
If you’re still learning the basics of paddling a canoe, then save the white water kayaking for a later date when you get more comfortable on the water.
It is exciting to find out what the best product is for the money. By reviewing various excellently crafted canoe paddles, we were able to narrow things down to a few top choices in this category. Take a look at each of our recommendations and consider the advantages and disadvantages of each one, before choosing your favorite.
|Attwood 11765-1 Canoe Paddle||Best Overall|
|SeaSense Telescopic Mini Paddle||Budget Pick|
|ZJ Sport Tahiti Type Lightweight Full Carbon Fiber Outrigger Canoe OC Paddle||Upgrade Pick|