Smoking meat is an art! Whether your interest here is your culinary artistry, or your love for DIY projects, you will want to invest in a quality electric smoker.
Electric smokers are ideal for beginner smokers, are often more reliable and convenient to use than charcoal smokers, and are far more suited for smoking meat in bulk than water smokers, which is also cool.
Below, I’ve put together a list of the best electric smokers for home use, given a short introduction to do-it-yourself smoking, and shared with you the absolute requirement for successful smoking: a reliable meat thermometer.
|Camp Chef Smoke Vault 18"||Best Overall|
|ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer||Budget Pick|
|Masterbuilt 20072115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker||Upgrade Pick|
1. Camp Chef Smoke Vault 18"
- This smokehouse is built to withstand the elements
- Relatively simple to assemble
- Price is lower than anticipated
- Heavy, stable, and durable
- Features a porcelain-coated bowl and easy-to-clean ash pan
- Reasonably priced for what you get
- It is somewhat smaller than advertised
- There is no warming tray for meat
This smoker has a large smoke chamber (1,200 square inches) which means that you can feed a large crew. This unit is also easy to use and makes few messes. The heating is done through an exposed smoke-wood fire, and you simply wipe it out at the end of the day’s grilling. The meat is a little close to the fire, but you can open a vent to keep it from drying out.
This 18.5-inch model seems to be designed for a backyard use. Therefore, it’s medium in size and is made from durable steel. The unit comes with all the main components of a smoker and is easy to assemble. It also comes with a reliable thermometer, so you can keep an eye on the barbeque’s temperature.
2. Smokehouse Products Big Chief Electric Smoker
- Adjustable for temperatures of hot smoking or cold smoking
- Graduated temperature gauge adjusts up to 275 degrees
- Sturdy construction
The Smokehouse Products Big-Chief is an electric stove-top smoker that you can safely use indoors. This smoker comes with an electric hot plate that keeps food warm even if you forget about it.
The smoker body is made of stainless steel, which provides even temperature. It has a removable bottom pan for easy cleanup. This smoker also comes with a glass lid with built-in thermometer. It’s induction ready and you can simply plug it in.
This electric smoker is 425 square inches and can fit a total of twelve to fourteen rack of ribs. No wood chips or charcoal is required for this smoker. It gives off that traditional barbecue taste.
3. Char-Broil Analog Electric Smoker
The Char-Broil electric smoker looks almost exactly like a traditional barbecue on the outside. That actually can be a big advantage. Because you can stack everything on top of the barbecue, it’s less likely that you’ll accidentally poke holes into the lining if you have a spill.
Taking a cue from its name, this electric smoker looks very similar to your run-of-the-mill charcoal smoker. However, it doesn’t burn charcoal at all. It’s completely electric, so you don’t have to lug extra charcoal around or worry about more pellets/wood chunks than you need.
This electric smoker also comes with a generous heating element. In fact, it also includes a fan to help control the temperature and a timer to help alert you when it reaches the desired temperature. Those are a couple of features that you can’t find with most other smokers.
4. Smokin-It Model #2 Electric Smoker
- Series of 6 hooks for hanging
- Cooks food slowly at low temperatures
A lot of people say the Model 2 is the best electric smoker on the market. It is very suitable for slow cooked food; that's why it's perfect for southern food. What's more? It can also make some delicious hams and roast.
5. Masterbuilt 20070210 30-Inch Black Electric Analog Smoker
6. Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow 30162E 30-Inch Electric Smoker
- Will help you cook the foods you enjoy
- Users report that it is well-built and runs smoothly
- Adjustable temperature control
- Amazon’s customers gave this product a 4.3 out of 5 star rating
- Low maintenance
Beginners and experienced cooks alike may find great value in the Electric Smoker for backyard cooking. It has cool-to-the-touch handles and a front-mounted digital control panel that allows you to easily monitor your cooking process. Each smoker comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
This smoker features a front door mounted temperature control dial that lets you heat your food to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. When cooking meats or vegetables, you can adjust the temperature to between 100 to 300 degrees.
There are four dampers located underneath the heating chamber that you can adjust as necessary for your cooking needs. It also comes with two exterior casters that help you easily move this smoker around as you need.
7. Bradley Smoker BTDS76P 990216 Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker
- The digital control panel makes it easier to operate and convenient to read
- The draw is cooler, the smoke is cleaner
- Automatically adjusts the burn rate with an intelligent thermostat and can adjust up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit
- Clean-up is easy as you only have to dump the ash
- The drip pan makes for easy cleanup
- Easy to take apart and clean the firebox if needed and the dampers
- Additional adaptability with the heating element and water pan designs
- The digital thermometer to tell what the temperature is inside the smoker
This is an indoor smoker that is well laid out and ready to go as soon as you take it out of the box. It is easy to put together and starts up quickly. It has everything it takes to make great smoked food. It does all this while being relatively small in size as well as being light.
You can trust the Bradley smoker to produce consistent results consistently, cook food to the way you like it and produce great tasting food. The temperature can be monitored and controlled automatically or you can use the manual control, which gives you more flexibility. You can even set up some advanced programs such as dinner-time reminders and timed shut-off.
8. Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow SH19079518 Digital Electric Smoker
- Comes with easy to use digital controls.
- Has a window in the lid to keep an eye on things as you smoke.
- Has 2 infrared burners for even heat distribution.
- Has 3 cooking racks so you can smoke multiple items at one time.
- Many have experienced burn out issues.
- Some say the temperature doesn’t get hot enough to do any good smoking.
- Some have also said parts were missing out of their box.
9. Z Grills ZPG-700D 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
- Nice wood-smoke flavor
- Adjustable temperature
- Much easier to use than charcoal
Hot off the heels of igniting the popular backyard BBQ grills, pellet smokers are now gaining traction as a more sophisticated alternative to charcoal barbecues.
Pellet smokers use a relatively new technology called intelligent temperature control that allows the grill to hold a consistent temperature and stay within the boundaries set by the user. It also allows for a grill to cook more types of food as opposed to just cooking meat. A lot of the time, the food that you cook in your pellet smoker will come out better than the food when you’re grilling with charcoal. That’s because with a charcoal or gas BBQ, you have to constantly tend to the fire, whereas the pellet smoker more or less takes care of things by itself.
You’ll have to place your actual meat in an aluminum tray. That means that when you do this, there will be a chance for things like honey to drip into the meat. You’ll have to cover your meat with some kind of wax or something.
10. Dyna-Glo DGU732BDE-D 30" Digital Electric Smoker
If you’re considering buying an electric smoker, but you’re not exactly sure which one to pick, then the Dyna-Glo DGU732BDE-D is an excellent choice. You may be happy to know that this particular electric smoker has made it on our list of the best electric smokers on the market.
Its design is quite simple. It’s a box-type smoker with an open door at the bottom where the wood chips are placed. The interior is fairly large, allowing you to smoke a wide range of food, such as fish or chicken.
The smoker has a water tray on the bottom that you can use to add water, which helps in controlling the temperature. When the water dries out, it may lower the temperature.
11. Masterbuilt MB20071117 Digital Electric Smoker
- Double-walled drip pan
- Top-mounted digital controls
- LED display
- Grill functionality
- Preheat/cooking timer
- Charcoal pan, water pan, and wood chip pan
- 3 racks
- Sear Kit
- Brushed-metal construction
- Two-year limited warranty
- Temp variation on the door
- Charcoal pan verges on flimsy
- Requires additional charcoal
The Masterbuilt electric smoker is a must have for any serious barbecue enthusiast. If you are looking to kick-back and relax while watching your food prepare itself, then this smoker will do just that.
It is quite simply the easiest smoker you can buy, as it virtually does all the work for you. You just have to make sure you have the right fuel, light it and make sure the temperature is perfect. Most of the heavy lifting is done by the smoker, saving you a whole lot of time and effort.
12. Oster Smoker Roaster Oven
- Large enough for even a 3-4 pound turkey (so no need to buy a rotisserie)
- The rotisserie spit handle locks into place so it does not need to be held
- The drip tray catches any liquid from your meat (for ease of clean up)
- The cover and window on this smoker lets you watch the progress of your meat without needing to open the door
- The drip tray slides out for easy cleaning
- The front legs are adjustable so you don’t have to have a flat surface
- Quite heavy
- Does not have an in-and-out fuel door, but it does stand on its side
- The lid is not hinged and is a bit tricky to remove
The red Oster has a weighted base in the back but does not stand up on its own. This Oster smoker has a rotisserie spit ability, which is not usually found in this size smoker/roaster. It is large enough for a turkey up to 5 pounds.
All of the parts are dishwasher safe, and the instructions are clear and easy to follow. This unit heats up much faster than the older Oster and seems to hold temperature better.
13. Camp Chef SmokePro DLX PG24 Pellet Grill
- Good quality construction
- Comes with a stainless steel large grilling area
- Equipped with a 18.5 inch wide hood
- Adjustable grilling temperature
- Easy to use
- Well-constructed ash catcher
This excellent pellet grill is one of the best electric smokers. It provides a value for money due to its features which include fully adjustable temperature control, usage of electric ignition, and well-constructed pellet hopper. It “Makes smoking all the different types of foods, easy.
This package includes the “Full cover grill” which is the cover that covers the heat source and ventilation system. This cover helps to prevent damage to heat and it keeps the internal components protected.
The Camp Chef SmokePro comes with an advanced design and excellent controls. It also offers a large cooking area and a pedal-operated lighting system. This helps to reduce mussing of the kitchen.
14. Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill
- Comes with a four-year guarantee
- Uses wood pellets, which are both renewable and are more eco-friendly than propane or charcoal
- Incredibly easy to use
- Assembly was simple
- Fantastic juices and flavor
- It’s one of the best electric smoker grills
- Temperature gauge
- All-in-one system
- Heats up quickly
- Shipping boxes are well insulated
- Having to manually clean wood pellets and take out ash box
- Tends to get too hot on the bottom
- The temperature dial stopped working
- This expensive smoker cost more
Camp Chef is one of the most trusted names in grilling, and their new wood pellet smoker is a one of a kind machine that will allow you to smoke a variety of meats, vegetables, and fruits. Many smokers are quite difficult to operate, but this unit takes the guesswork out of cooking with smoke, allowing you to create excellent meals the whole family will enjoy.
15. Traeger Grills TFB38TCA Renegade Elite Wood Pellet Grill
- Made of heavy duty stainless steel materials
- Perfect for a variety of cooking methods at an affordable price
- Customer reviews are excellent
The Traeger TFB38TCA is one outstanding model of an electric smoker that can do it all. If you are an outdoor cook or looking for an alternative to a gas or charcoal smoker, then this one is worth looking into.
The model is designed to use wood pellets, and it comes with a wired thermometer so you can monitor the meat temperature for precision cooking. It can cook up to 80 pounds of meat at a time. It has temperature control and an electric smoke ability.
What makes this model stand out is the flexibility of its features such as the temperature control and the digital timer. Many electric smokers don’t have these features and honestly they’re a must-have!
16. Smokin Tex 1100 Series Smoker
- Quality construction
- Great temperature control
- A little pricey
Looking for a great electric smoker that won’t break the bank? Then the Smokin Tex 1100 Series Smoker and Grill may be a great option. In fact, according to a lot of reviews, it’s one of the best electric smoker grills on the market.
This smoker/grill is designed to cook large amounts of meat very quickly.
It’s a little more expensive than other electric smoker grills, and it’s also a little heavy, so it may not be the right fit for everyone. However, if you’re looking for a smoking grill that will provide you a lot of room and a lot of cooking power, then the Smokin Tex 1100 Series Smoker and Grill is worth your consideration.
17. ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer
- Wireless remote good for grilling
- Multiple features: remote thermometers, temp sensors, and more
- Easy to calibrate and use
The ThermoPro TP20 is a great addition to the cooking tools in your kitchen. It makes it easier for you to know what is going on inside the grill while you continue to do other things.
We especially like that this thermometer comes with a wireless remote, which is perfect for when you are preparing food and don’t want to bother with walking over to the grill and touching the thermometer.
But that’s not all. The ThermoPro TP20 can also be used as a remote thermometer for your oven or smoker. You don’t have to plug it in anywhere when you use this feature, as long as you have charged it beforehand. You can also use the TP20 to measure the temperature of water when making sure that the bath for your baby is safe.
18. Char-Broil Vertical Electric Smoker
- Timer for added convenience
- Detachable grease catcher
- Vertical design for easier storage
- Kit includes 4 smoking racks, 2 grilling racks, a wood chip loader, and a meat thermometer
- Can be used as a smoker or a grill
- 120 V
- 1500 W
- Adjustable heating element can be adjusted to 225-450 F
- Takes about 4 hours to assemble
- Poorly written instructions
- Takes up a lot of room
- Light weight of the cover collapses
- Hard to get replacement parts
The Char-Broil Vertical Electric Smoker is a decent indoor electric smoker. It has adjustable temperature settings, cooler vents, a grease reservoir, and a window.
The Char-Broil Vertical Electric Smoker includes 4 smoking racks, 2 grilling racks, a meat thermometer, wood chip loader, and a power cord.
The Char-Broil Vertical Electric Smoke doesn’t need to be seasoned and is easy to use. This smoker is wide enough to fit a turkey. It has 5 well-constructed wheels that help you to roll the smoker …even when it is loaded with food. The smoker operates on a 1500-watt heater that accommodates up to 6 hours of cooking.
19. Masterbuilt 20073716 Portable Electric Smoker
- Attractive and sturdy design
- Excellent taste
- Locking lid makes it easy to transport
- Must be fine-tuned to produce great smoke
- Drain tube included with some Masterbuilt models is defective
If you’ve been on a search for the best electric smoker of 2020, then you have to consider this smoker from Masterbuilt.
This electric smoker from Masterbuilt has a stunning, compact enclosure that you can use to prepare countless types of meat and fish. It weighs a little less than 20 pounds, which makes it easy to store and transport.
This electric smoker has a hinged door and a removable drip pan. It comes with an integrated temperature thermometer in the lid that monitors the internal temperature at all times. The thermometer can be adjusted to give you a more accurate reading of the temperature inside the smoker.
20. LANDMANN MCO 32954 Landmann Smoky Mountain 26" Electric Smoker-Black-OPP w/Viewing W
- Solid design
- Easy to use
- Absolutely no hassle with prepping and cleaning up
21. Masterbuilt 20077515 Front Controller Electric Smoker
When it comes to electric smokers, we prefer this model. It may have fewer features than others, but this unit is definitely the best electric smoker for the money.
This electric smoker weighs 141 pounds when assembled. It measures 45.8″ x 18″ x 21″. The top rack will hold a roast or other large cut of meat, and the lower rack has an adjustable heat thermostat.
It has a window where you can see the progress of the smoking process. It also has steel racks that are removable and dishwasher-safe. It comes with three settings: warm, hot and off.
22. Smokin Tex Pro 1400
This sleek and stylish electric smoker is an incredible value for money offering that provides you with amazing results.
One of the great things about this product is that you can use it either with or without charcoal, allowing you to take advantage of the versatility.
The digital temperature display makes it easy for you to read and monitor your food’s cook time and temperature. A meat temperature probe is also included with this smoker.
23. Char-Broil 17202004 Digital Electric Smoker
- Good temperature range
- Decent build quality
- Good heating power and fast up to smoke food
- Comes with a decent amount of cooking racks and accessories
- Easy to use
- Durability of the dial
- The control panel breaks easily
This is one of the best electric smokers available on the market now. If you are looking for an alternative to the classic wood smoked flavors, then this is the best electric smoker for you.
The cooking area of this electric smoker is around 700 square inches. The construction enables even heat circulation and the automatic temperature controller is also convenient. The build is light yet sturdy. It has an aluminum steel body, which makes it light and easy to move around.
The smoker is also easy to set up and use. It has many features that are really convenient, including the drip tray and the wood chip/water compartment. The smoker also comes with 15 accessories and four removable cooking racks. There is even a thermometer inside the smoker for an easy temperature reading.
24. Masterbuilt 20072115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker
Electric smokers are gaining popularity for both home and business use. People who do not have time to prepare meat or vegetables by traditional means are enjoying the convenience of using electric smokers. Unlike other smokers, electric indoor smokers are very easy to use. It’s as simple as connecting the power cable, adjusting the settings, and specifying the desired temperature. If you want a simple meat or vegetable smoker, the Masterbuilt 2007214 is an excellent choice.
25. Cookshack SM066 AmeriQue Electric Smoker Oven
26. PIT BOSS 77700 7.0 Pellet Smoker
- The integrated temperature controller makes it easy to use
- The Pit Boss 700 is easy to use for everyone to start smoking at home
- Compared with charcoal in a kettle grill, it can consume less charcoal and charcoal briquettes
- The food will be soft and delicate
- You can close the bottom vent to smoke more
- The ash collector is not convenient for cleaning up
- The box may be large and difficult to carry by hand
The Pit Boss pellet smoker has a lot of benefits if you like barbecue. Most of the Housewives are familiar with the Pit Boss pellet smoker that is why they recommend it to their lives. They want to have it at home too. So you choose the best electric smoker according to your own preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best electric smokers on the market?
We picked the top smokers because they are easy to use and clean and do a decent job. You can help your purchase decision by reading the part of the buying guide dealing with buyers’ experience and overall quality.
Check reviews and stay informed! If you have more questions check out the rest of the buying guide.
Are electric smokers worth the money?
Electric smokers are an extremely popular choice among newbies and experts alike because they are convenient and easy to use. This type of smoker is also perfect for quick smoking of one or two items such as a few sandwiches or chops. But they definitely can’t be used for a large party or for smoking larger pieces of meat.
Several other advantages include:
‚Ease of Use. Unlike charcoal or wood smokers, electric smokers don’t take long to heat up, and they don’t require you to fiddle with temperature control. You just open the door, put in the food, and press a few buttons. That’s it!
‚Convenience. Electric smokers are easy to use and clean, and you can even store them without a problem.
What brand of smoker is the best?
Your choices will depend on several factors including size and budget, type of smoker (Char-Grill, Pellet, Electric), meat that you are planning to smoke, and price. Each is fantastic in its own way and your choice really depends on what works best for your needs. I personally use and recommend the Smoke Hollow electric smoker for beginners because it’s very easy to use and operate. Plus it’s got the widest range of accessories available. A lot of folks will probably want to go with a Char-Grill smoker because of the way it cooks meat. Then there’s clearly the Pellet smokers. I’ll go more in depth on each of them in just a bit.
When buying a smoker, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Meat Type
Who makes the best reverse flow smoker?
The reverse flow smoker technology is synonymous with bullet shaped grills and smokers. This innovative design was introduced by Weber in 1998. Since then, many manufacturers have adopted the design for their electric smoker, charcoal grills, and even pellet smokers.
For your convenience, we’ve selected the best reverse flow smokers currently available on the market and compiled them in a side-by-side comparison table.
We are committed to look at every product used to smoke your meat, with our guides divided up by different material and construction options. This means that we are looking into everything from gas, charcoal, electric smokers, now with the cookshack pro 30-in smoker. Electric smokers are easy for some, but for others it can be the hardest type of smoker to learn how to use.
|Camp Chef Smoke Vault 18"||Best Overall|
|ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer||Budget Pick|
|Masterbuilt 20072115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker||Upgrade Pick|