If you’re looking for a new hiking backpack and want to make an educated decision, then it’s best to have the facts. I’m a huge hiker, backpacker, camper, and overall outdoorsman.
I love going out on the trails and getting involved… but only when I have the right gear!
Experienced hikers know that the right hiking backpack is important, but a lot of them also know that it’s not enough to simply have the right backpack.
You also have to have the right experience to go along with it.
I’ve taken my fair share of trips and learned a lot along the way. From bits of knowledge to the wrong trails that has led me to a huge amount of extra weight to haul around.
However, I’ve since refined my knowledge and combined it with the right gear for any backpacking trip, no matter how far I’m going.
|Osprey Stratos 36 Men's Hiking Backpack||Best Overall|
|Gonex Ultralight Handy Travel Backpack Packable Daypack 20L||Budget Pick|
|Speedo Tri Clops Backpack||Upgrade Pick|
1. Osprey Stratos 36 Men's Hiking Backpack
Osprey is a known brand name in the hiking scene, and the Stratos 36 is their classic hiking backpack. This bag is just small enough to appeal to the serious hiker looking for a day pack for backpackpacking or weekend backcountry excursions.
One of the most popular features of this hiking backpack is its lightweight design. Made with a laminated cotton material and an aluminum frame, it weights less than 2.5 pounds.
The Osprey Stratos 36 has a ton of storage options, including a hydration sleeve. It also has an adjustable fit and a top handle for easy carrying. The hip belt is also adjustable to fit just about anyone. The pack also includes a rain cover for extra protection.
2. Venture Pal 40L Lightweight Packable Travel Hiking Backpack Daypack
- Very comfortable on your back
- The backpack is lightweight
- Great for travelers
- Sturdy and fashionable
- It is spacious enough to carry all your belongings
- Water resistant
- Lightweight fabric
- A little smaller than you expect
- Zipper gets stuck sometimes
- Drawstring has lower quality than the rest of the product
For your next trip or adventure, you need to have a lightweight backpack, right?
That’s why we have the Venture Pal Backpack. Venture Pal Backpack has all the features you need for a trip, vacation or hiking.
This packable packing cube is made from water resistant nylon, which makes it great for outdoor activities. It is durable, sturdy, and comfortable.
3. Osprey Tempest 20 Women's Hiking Backpack
- Good construction
- Good storage
- Very comfortable
- Full-bodied rainfly included
4. Osprey Atmos AG 65 Men's Backpacking Backpack
- Extremely comfortable, even when heavily loaded
- Customizable hip belt and harness
- Great load distribution
- Tuck-away rain cover for weather protection
- Tough, rugged, and durable
- Made of ripstop nylon
- Padded shoulder straps
- Lifetime guarantee
Easily one of the best backpacks in 2019, the Osprey Atmos 65 is a hiker’s dream, championing comfort and convenience.
The Osprey Atmos 65 AG is loaded with tons of clever features that make your hike much more comfortable. These features include an AntiGravity suspension system, which is Osprey’s way of saying that it distributes the weight of the backpack evenly over your entire back.
The distribution of weight of this backpack is so comfortable, you may be able to tolerate carrying a heavier backpack than usual. The suspension system also has a height-adjustable torso, which makes the backpack more comfortable for a wider range of body types. You can also remove the waist belt to take even more weight off.
5. TOURIT Backpack Cooler Leak Proof 28 Cans Cooler Backpack Insulated Waterproof
- Plenty of storage
- Includes a rain cover
- The strap is soft and well-padded
- Very spacious
- No wheels
- Some may find it too big
It’s hard to find a great backpack cooler that’s spacious, stylish, comfortable, and can fit everything you’ll need for your trip. But if you’re looking for the best economy backpacks, then this backpack cooler should be at the top of your list of options. And it’s not just great as an alternative to your other backpacks, but also perfect for the beach, kayaking trips, music festivals and hikes.
6. Osprey Farpoint 70 Men's Travel Backpack
- Comfortable hip belt
- Lots of shoulder straps to adjust
- Huge main compartment
- Organized with separate compartments
- Locking zippers
- Perfect for backpacking with a companion
- Durable nylon ripstop material
- This bag can hold a lot of weight
- Good quality zippers
- Designed to be used for backpacking with a companion
- Wheels are easy to get dirty
- Style of bag is not that attractive
This excellent travel backpack has a unique look, and is really innovative in the way it is designed. It’s really great when you are traveling with someone else.
With this special design, it will eliminate the trouble of having to carry one pack on your back and someone else’s pack on the other side.
With a detachable compartment, you can use the bag for other purposes, such as a small suitcase. The main compartment is really roomy, with a large front pocket as well.
7. Gonex Ultralight Handy Travel Backpack Packable Daypack 20L
- Great for air travel & everyday use
- Lightweight & durable
- Includes an exterior tie attachment for attaching a water bottle
- Keeps shape after use
- Great value for a very versatile daypack, especially for the price
If you’re looking for a daypack to use both on the trail and while traveling to and from your favorite hiking destinations, this extremely versatile pack may be right for you.
It folds up into the size of a softball and can be packed into one of its two side pockets, making it a great option for air travel. When it is unfolded, this daypack weighs 14.1 oz, making it one of the lightest options on our list.
8. Fieldline Pro Series Treeline DayPack
- Can carry a lot of gear
- Chock full of pockets for organization
- Not as accommodating for taller hikers
- Straps don’t offer much customization
The Fieldline Pro Series Treeline Daypack is small enough that you can take it for short hikes, yet it’s spacious enough that you can take it for multi-day treks and overnight camping trips too.
At 17 liters of interior volume, this Fieldline backpack can provide ample storage for longer hikes and treks. It has a front sleeve that can be adjusted to accommodate hydration bladders and the backpack also comes with a hydration port for easy refills.
9. Texbo Genuine Full Grain Leather Crossbody Sling Bag Travel Hiking Sports Daypacks
- The quality of the material feels solid
- The leisure daypack is extremely roomy and spacious
- Zipper works smoothly
- The bag features are all in the right place
- The straps give the feeling of a much more expensive bag
- The straps are wide and comfortable even for long wear
- The handles are nice and sturdy as well
- The stitching looks neat
- * Rather pricey
10. Speedo Tri Clops Backpack
- Spacious 50-liter
- Ergonomic design
- Light and adjustable straps
- Two pockets to carry water bottles
Swimmers have to lose a lot of things when they get out of the water. They have to take off their cap, take off their goggles, empty their earplugs, and take off their swimsuit. They need something that can keep these items with them. Speedo has made a backpack that gives swimmers a place to keep these items while they are out of the water. It makes their outdoor practices more convenient.
11. Gonex 65L/75L Internal Frame Hiking Backpack
- Provides a lot of room
- Great for a day trip or longer
The Gonex 65L/75L internal frame backpack is very roomy, making it suitable for day hikes and overnight trips. This backpack features an internal frame made from high-grade aluminum and is able to support up to 75 pounds of weight.
Its ergonomic design ensures that you feel comfortable even when your bag is full. The sturdy back, padded shoulder straps, and a waist strap can distribute the weight easily, making it glide on your back.
The backpack also features two side and one front zippered pockets on both the sides and the top part of the backpack. This allows you to store your items in separate compartments for easier retrieval. This also adds to the overall durability of the backpack.
12. Kelty Redwing 44 Liter Backpack
- Sturdy yet lightweight
- High capacity
- Straps are comfortable
- Poor quality zippers
- Difficult to adjust the hip belt
- The Kelty Redwing 44L Backpack is an amazing choice if you love hiking in all weather conditions, especially when the trail requires carrying a lot of supplies on your back!
This backpack has a very large capacity, and plenty of pockets to store your gear. It’s a popular option for female hikers thanks to its great ergonomic design and comfort.
This backpack meets airline carry-on requirements, meaning you can actually use it to carry your luggage rather than stowing it away in the oversize bin.
Its back panel is an airwave mesh that’s built to reduce the sweat, which helps keep the backpack cooler in hot weather.
13. CAMELSPORTS 30L / 40L Lightweight Hiking Backpack Waterproof Travel Backpacks Durable Daypack
- Great pack for people that don’t want to spend a lot of money but are looking for a backpack for frequent hikes and that can be used for school for some people.
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Waterproof and can hold up to 40L of gear which is more than most student backpacks.
- It looks good
- Seems well made
- Great for the price
- Setting up the back of the backpack can be tricky the first few times and the instructions leave a little to be desired but not terrible
- Doesn’t come with the best rain cover but it does seem like it will hold up to the elements after getting used to it
- The hip belt can be a little annoying when the bag isn’t full and it shifts around on you but this is not a big deal and most bags do this.
This 40L / 30L pack is the perfect size for a school backpack but could also be used for hiking, traveling, biking, the gym or just going on a day trip to a theme park or a museum.
The straps on the shoulders are well padded and the lumbar strap does not feel like it is rubbing against your back which can be an uncomfortable feeling when you have loaded the backpack with a lot of stuff.
14. High Sierra Summit Top Load Internal Frame Pack
- Lightweight at only 3.4 pounds
- Large main compartment
- Comes with a hydration reservoir
- Tall design
- Lots of pockets, including a laptop sleeve
- Hydration reservoir may be an issue for some people
- Budget-friendly but is not waterproof
This is a medium-sized backpack from a popular brand that you should also consider. Its top loading feature on this backpack is nice for access, though zippered panels would be better. Instead, the Summit has elastic netting that opens up the main compartment, but aren’t as easy to work with.
The Summit has a front panel that you can use for a hydration reservoir, though you will need to source the reservoir on your own. The pack also has an external sleeve for a laptop, which make it a great option for carrying around a laptop and documents. You can also use this backpack for hiking or even biking, as it has a sternum strap for extra help with security and load distribution.
The Summit does not come with many organizational features, which is a little surprising as it isn’t all that expensive to make. It also is not waterproof. If you intend to use it for exploring in the jungle, it’s a good idea to use a rain cover.
15. Ayezon Hiking Backpack
The Ayezon Outdoor Travel Backpack can be used for anything from Beach and outdoor activities, Travel and Hiking to school, camping and shopping. Take it on a multi-day hunting or fishing trip or as a companion when skydiving or rock climbing. It’s a multifunctional daypack that can be used for just about any activity.
The backpack is padded and ventilated space for your back, and it has a ventilation system that helps keep you cool and comfortable all day. There are transverse frames that provide extra support on your back so that you can relax and focus on your adventure.
The backpack is made from high-quality, waterproof nylon material that is abrasion-resistant. It has a rip stop design which has a high rating in the tear strength test.
16. Kelty Red Cloud 90 Backpack
Here’s a hiking backpack that is fit for the rougher trails. When you’re hitting the trails, you need a backpack that is tough, but also will help you to enjoy your time.
If you’re thinking about getting the Kelty Red Cloud 90 pack, you’ll be impressed with what’s in store at each stop of your journey. This bag also stands out thanks to its ability to protect you both from the elements and from your fellow hikers. It has a durable but lightweight design, a handy overhead storage compartment, as well as a variety of pockets and compartments.
17. Osprey Packs Women's Kyte 36 Backpack
- Great for everyday use
- Good materials
- Includes spray skirt and cellphone pocket
- Supportive and comfortable design
- Small side pockets
- Strap management could be better
This affordable hiking backpack from Osprey comes in two different color options. It features a suspension system, which makes it a lot more comfortable to carry during your trek.
The Kyte backpack has a large main compartment with an easy-access front pocket that can fit a water bottle or a cellphone. For added functionality, this hiking backpack also includes an additional front pocket that can accommodate a water bladder and a sunglasses pocket.
There are a few loops on the side of this backpack as well. Thankfully, these loops allow you to tie a jacket or a hat to it. This hiking backpack can hold everything that you need to go on a multi-day trip.
18. Osprey Youth Jet 12 Backpack
- Ample storage (28-liter main compartment, with cycling-specific design for stability and comfort)
- 2 lumbar hydration pockets
- Child-friendly side compression straps
- Mesh-covered, air-vented back panel
- Padded, perforated shoulder straps provide ventilation
- Air-channeled foam waist belt
- Padded hip belt
- Multiple zippered compartments
- Made from polyester
- The waist belt, also serves as a stabilizer for on your hips while you are bicycle riding
The Osprey youth Jet 12 backpack is an excellent backpack for your child to start their journey on.
19. Osprey Kestrel 38 Backpack
- The fully adjustable harness can be fit to suit the wearer
- AirSpeed BackPanel provides air flow to the back
- Lightweight at less than 2 lbs.
- Back Saver Series aluminum frame
- Compression-molded internal frame to give a solid feel on your backside
- Pack-it-Pocket for storing a jacket, goggles, or other small items
- Dual mesh side pockets that are suitable for water bottles
- Hydration compatible with a shoulder clip
- LightBeam perimeter frame that gives a comfortable form fit
- Spindrift collar to give easy access to your stuff
- The hip belt isn’t very comfortable
- The stitching comes off easily
- Zippers are a little difficult to open
- The frame is not very strong
- The terrain difficulty symbol for this product is wrong
20. Lightweight Packable Backpack Foldable Hiking Daypack 30L Waterproof Travel Back Pack
Attention! This bag is 7.9 * 4.72 * 3.54 inches not 30 x 13 x 40 inches.
The bag is small and compact. Arrived fast inside a zip lock bag.So far I have no complaints. It has a lot of room and is light! What I didn't want was a big bulky bag. This is big enough for me to keep my wallet, charger, brush, water bottle, gloves, scarf and hat, all the while not taking up a lot of space when I close my car's trunk.
It's pretty much perfect for what I was looking for. The quality is much better than I expected. The material is very durable. It's small, but it's pretty roomy. The shoulder strap is pretty thin and I think it's gonna break, but that's ok. I just don't use it often.
21. ELCM Foldable and Packable25L/35L Backpack Lightweight Traveling Waterproof Backpack Sports Daypack fit Women and Men
This handy backpack can be used for camping, hiking, travel, school, MTB, fishing, climbing and other outdoor activities, etc. Its capacity is 25L or 35L, and it comes with a convenient water bottle holder on the side and a separate pocket at the front. You can fold it into an extremely compact size and fit it into any small space. The reinforced double stitching on the seams ensures high strength and protects the bag from unexpected damage.
22. Gonex 55L Hiking Internal Frame Backpack Outdoor Backpacking Camping Trekking Climbing Backpack
- Zipper design, comfortable and convenient
- Made of high strength oxford cloth, durable and waterproof
- Breathable mesh shoulder straps
- Side loops for ice ax, hiking poles or tent poles
- 50 pounds maximum load
- The main compartment closed by zippers and the front pocket by velcro, which provides a good protection
- The back panel of the backpack is made of breathable mesh material, which makes the backpack more comfortable and breathable for your use
- The side pocket is designed with a transparent window, you can put your phone in it to keep it from scratching
- The large capacity backpack can accommodate you to take a lot of necessary stuff for your day trip, it’s really a good helper for you to travel
- The shoulder straps are short
- If the laptop is too large, a laptop compartment partition may be needed to avoid bumping
This backpack is particularly designed for hiking or camping, outdoor travel, it’s really perfect for you. You can put your digital camera, clothes, food, first-aid kits, climbing equipment, map, mobile phone and other necessary items into this backpack.
23. Granite Gear Crown 2 60 Backpack
- Helps protect you from rain
- Includes a rainfly
- Removable reservoir
- Internal features pockets and a sleeve for an airfilled pad
This backpack is relatively heavy, due to the large tank on the back, which makes it highly adequate for any type of mountain climbing or hiking. It is waterproof and includes an outer rain cover.
Additionally, this hiking backpack has six zipper pockets, each of them can be detached. Inside the main compartment, there is a laptop compartment, which frees space while you are hiking, as you don’t need to stay with your laptop. Also, in the laptop compartment, there is a pocket for a cell phone and cords for the charger.
The net pocket at the front can hold a water bottle, which can be removed fast. Inside of the pocket, there is a drawstring mechanism to hold the water bottle in place. When there is no space left inside of the pocket, you can remove the water bottle. The water bottle is replaced very easily. The backpack has a hidden clip for your water bottle.
24. Recsoul 40L Unisex Hiking Backpack
- Very lightweight
- Very compact
- Top and bottom carry handles
- Multiple compartments
- External straps
- Easy access zippers
- No-slip shoulder straps
- The zippers tend to jam with the tabs
- A little difficult to fit in a lot of gear
- A bit expensive
This is the best affordable hiking backpack it’s extremely lightweight, compact and it has no-slip shoulder straps. There are multiple pockets front and back and an outside pocket and straps on the top and the bottom for extra storage or for attaching a hydration pack. The zipper is very easy to open and close. The shoulder straps are padded and there are internal pockets.
The reviews for this backpack are excellent at nearly 5 stars on the whole with only two 1 star reviews, one being I didn’t like the pattern and since that was personal taste they didn’t count it, and one because the zipper was too difficult to close. There are two pockets on the front for keys, phone etc, side pockets for water bottles and of course the main compartment.
25. LUISPORT Lightweight Packable Hiking Backpack Foldable Hike Backpack Travel Backpack Camping Backpack Camp Backpack
Lightweight. The backpack is made from durable material.
Space-Saving. Thanks to the fastpack design, this backpack has a unique 20L capacity, which is the most suitable for air travel, backpacking, camping, trekking, etc.
Compact. This backpack is the perfect option for daily commutes as it takes up no more space than the size of a magazine.
26. Osprey Packs Atmos AG 65 Men's Backpacking Backpack
- Lots of internal and external pockets for easy organization
- Durable and comfortable with an ergonomic design
This backpack is not exactly a hiking backpack, but an excellent travel backpack and backpack for every day use.
It has a lot of pockets and compartments for easy organization. It is also aerated with adjustable ventilated suspension and harness. It is incredible comfortable, has a top-loading main compartment, internal hydration sleeve, and dual waist belt pockets.
Your options will be more limited with this backpack than others, but if you are looking for one with an ergonomic design, many compartments, and is comfortable, the Atmos 65 is the way to go.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best brand of hiking backpack?
There are a lot of different brands that make the niche of hiking backpacks, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Some of the most popular brands are listed below. These are ranked in no particular order.
Osprey: Osprey is a company that specializes in hiking backpacks and other outdoor gear. They have been around since 1974 and they are well known for making top quality hiking backpacks. All Osprey backpacks are made from high-quality materials that are durable and extremely lightweight. They also offer a lifetime guarantee on their products, so you know you are getting the best.
Kelty: Kelty is another very well-known hiking backpack brand that has been around since the 1940s. They also make high quality hiking backpacks that are durable and lightweight. Their bags are a bit more stylish than ones from Osprey, but they are also a bit more expensive.
What should I look for when buying a hiking backpack?
Apart from price, the most important things for a backpacker are suspension type, capacity, and waterproofing.
Think about the type of adventures you’re planning. If you’re going to be in mountainous terrain, a lightweight backpack with extra cushioning in the shoulder straps and waist belt is a must. If you’re going to be trekking along trails that are more like desert or tundra, a suspension system won’t offer much in terms of shock absorption.
Other things to consider when choosing a hiking backpack include the amount of gear you are likely to carry, the potential climate and weather (rain, cold, and snow), how much you can carry to reduce wear and tear, whether you will add accessories in the future, and the kind of storage you require (clothing and food).
What are the best quality backpacks?
Highly functional backpacks, however, are not necessarily the best quality backpacks. Quality is a big umbrella term that entails the following categories:
Functionality: How functional and high-quality a backpack is in a given scenario. Some backpacks are the best quality backpacks for the airport, others for hiking, and yet others for daily commuting.
Durability: The quality of the stitching and the construction of the backpack. Longevity.
Size & Weight: The scope and size of the backpack matter a lot. Before choosing a backpack, you should map out your intended use-cases first and measure the items. If you carry a lot of items and frequently need to store a large laptop, you should look for large volume backpacks. If you are on a weight limit (e.g., on a plane or in a backpacking trip) and you need to minimize total weight, then lighter backpacks will matter more to you.
What is the best day hike backpack?
When hiking with a large pack, comfort is of the utmost importance. Having your pack fit right, with a good, padded hip belt, makes all the difference in the world. And, so the bag can efficiently splay out the load over your hips and shoulders, rather than just your shoulders, the shoulder straps should be well padded and contoured.
Hiking backpacks range from 35 to 75 liters in total volume and usually have buckles to attach extra things like sleeping pads, tents, canteens, or other gear. They are generally very durable, so they can withstand the rough and tumble of backpacking.
If you are going to be camping overnight a small backpack that lets you keep your gear close to you is a great idea. These packs make it easy to get to your water, food, and tent when you need them. This way you’re not stumbling around in the dark looking for things.
Hiking is one of the best workouts you can find. With a hiking backpack, you will enjoy and experience the beautiful outdoors. The main reason for having a hiking backpack is to carry everything that you might need while hiking and also eliminate the need for you to ask for help from nearby people when you need something. These bags are usually waterproof or water-resistant.
|Osprey Stratos 36 Men's Hiking Backpack||Best Overall|
|Gonex Ultralight Handy Travel Backpack Packable Daypack 20L||Budget Pick|
|Speedo Tri Clops Backpack||Upgrade Pick|