If you’re going camping, why not take your vehicle? It’s far more comfortable than lying out in the dirt under the stars. However, could you use a comfortable roof top tent to shelter you? There’s a wide range of models and options out there, so you may be unclear which one is right for you. Check out my guide.
|Guide Gear Full Size Truck Tent||Best Overall|
|Napier Backroadz Truck Tent||Budget Pick|
|Tepui Explorer Kukenam Rooftop Tent||Upgrade Pick|
1. Guide Gear Full Size Truck Tent
Sale 1489 Reviews Guide Gear Full Size Truck Tent, One Size, Brown Easy to set up, easy to tear down.
Tent, carry bag, and ground sheet.
This is an authentic truck tent for those who like the traditional way of overnight camping.
2. Napier Backroadz Truck Tent
- Quick and easy to set up, up to 2 person
- Waterproof Roof Top Tents for backpacking & car camping
- Napier is a highly suitable company
- Easy to put up and take down
- Has lots of room for 2 people
- Easy to install and un-install
- Provides a large area for putting equipment in
- Good price for the product
- Carrying bag is not very durable
- Not the greatest quality materials
The Napier Backroadz Truck Tent is of good quality for the cost. It is not the most durable product that you can get, but if you treat it well, it should last you for a good amount of time. It is quick and easy to set up and is ideal for the backpacking and car-camping trips. It's also very easy to install and uninstall.
Some people may find that the carrying bag is not very thick, so it may wear out faster than other options. Therefore, it is recommended that you keep the bag for storage use only to prevent prolonged exposure to the sun and rain and unexpected accidents.
3. Sportz Truck Tent Blue/Grey
- Waterproof and weatherproof
- Extremely easy to install
- Assembly is about 10 minutes
- Comes with a portable tent
- Fits all pickup trucks
- Reduces road vibrations
- Comes with a folding bed
- Adjustable height, frame, and width
- Polyester canopy and tie downs
- Reinforced seams
- The metal rods cannot be adjusted
- Tab on the back tore off from the body of the tent
- The road mud spatters are on the inside of the windows
This Sportz Truck Tent comes with a half top and half bottom windshield cover which is the best of its kind. It delivers on the best temporary privacy and bed for the 4 wheeler.
4. Napier 57122 Full Size Regular Box 57 Series Sportz Truck Tent
- Windshield Passage
- 3 Storage Pockets
- Weather Shaded Windows
- Easy To Install
- Affordable Price
- Single Door Only
- Rain Fly is Not Included
- Six-point Hook Up
The Napier 57122 is a great looking and affordable roof top tent. This tent is large enough to accommodate most mid-size cars and trucks.
This is a great tent for those who desire a cozy, secure travel experience without worrying about their assets with theft.
This tent comes with built in rainfly to protect your tent from rain. It also comes with a large rear storage capacity.
5. Smittybilt Overlander Tent
- Quick and easy to set up/tear down
- Extremely durable
- Very spacious interior
- Dual-pane windows provide a sense of light and airiness
- You can fit a queen sized bed inside
- The ‘screen windows’ provide little ventilation, especially in hot weather
- It’s not easy to remove the awning if you need to use the truck to haul things
- Tear-down can be difficult
- Tearing the tent down isn’t always easy
- This tent is not a bargain when compared to other brands
The Smittybilt Overlander is marketed as the Jeep Wrangler of tents. This tent was designed to give you the ultimate comfort and quality in a front-end truck camping tent.
6. Tuff Stuff Ranger Overland Rooftop Tent
- Made from durable, high-quality materials
- Tilting panel windows that open
- Configurable ventilation
- Strong fabric
- Easy to set up
- Air ventilation
- Ultra-flat aerodynamic design
- A little bit heavy
- Hard to store
Another premium rooftop tent from Tuff Stuff is the Tuff Stuff Ranger Overland Rooftop Tent. Similar to the Ready. Set. Camp!, the Ranger comes in different models — depending on the exact features you need — that are all lightweight and collapsible.
The Tuff Stuff Ranger is made from extremely lightweight materials. It also has aerodynamic testing that will reduce wind noise. It is designed to house two passengers and also comes with a storage bag for your camping gear.
Once you open the Tuff Stuff Ranger for the first time, you might notice it is heavier than other rooftop tents. It’s heavier than any beach umbrella for a good reason though. The reason for its superior structural strength is that it was intended for an off-road or overland expedition.
7. ARB 803804 Simpson Tent Incl. Annex/Ladder Simpson Tent
- Provides a lot of space
- Quality build
- Very easy to pitch
- Price point
- Not ideal for high winds
The ARB Simpson 4 tent is a bit on the smaller side, even if it is an expedition tent. It has a truly exceptional build, good quality, and the features are just well done.
This tent is made for four people. It’s got guy points, it’s got a lot of real estate, and it has a serious weight to it.
It’s a lot of tent for the money. The only true downside to it is the fact that it’s not going to work in extremely high winds. For most outdoor adventures, that’s going to be the case with any tent.
8. Yakima SkyRise Rooftop Tent-M
The SkyRise Rooftop Tent came out as Yakima’s premier roof top tent. It sits 9 inches off the roof of the vehicle and can be easily mounted to most common crossbars via its patented J-Hook technology.
The SkyRise roof top tent is outfitted with the innovative and patented High-top Foot-less design.
A large and comfortable sleeping surface offers comfort without sacrificing practicality. Use the divider to separate the SkyRise rooftop tent into two sleep areas.
9. Hasika Waterproof Double Layer Full Size Truck Short/Regular Bed 5.5-6.7 Foot Tent
- Storage pockets inside and outside
- Pre-sealed seams
Hasika Waterproof Double Layer Full Size Truck Short/Regular Bed 5.5-6.7 Foot Tent with Floor make your bed more comfortable. In addition, you will get to have a place to store your belongings.
The Hasika collapsible tent comes with a capacity of 300 pounds and is also suitable for 6.7 feet bed of short and regular trucks.
This tent floor is waterproof ensuring no one gets wet while using it. It also has a waterproof rainfly for extra protection against the rain.
10. Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent
- Has several entry points, so you can set it up in various ways.
- The Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent comfortably sleeps two and has a roomy storage area which will allow you to store your camping gear.
- Made from canvas and polyester, this Truck Tent is waterproof and will keep you dry even in bad weather.
- The truck bed tent doesn't come with a rainfly, so you'll have to purchase one separately and set it up if you intend on camping in an area where there's a chance rain could fall.
- The tent doesn't come with an included flange, so you'll need to source one separately for the tent to be stable. Additionally, you'll need 12-inch screws to secure the flange to your truck bed.
- This truck bed tent may not fit on all truck beds, so make sure you measure before you purchase it to be sure it will fit on your truck.
The Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent is a great choice for people who want to go camping without having to rig up a pop-up camper. This tent is very easy to set up and will give you a lot of room inside for you to lie down or sit up comfortably.
It comes with two windows that roll up for ventilation. The shipping weight of the Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent is 14 pounds.
11. Smittybilt Overlander Tent XL
- Very reasonable price point
- Can be set up quickly
- Very strong material
The manufacturer of this tent uses a metal complex frame that’s been powder-coated. It’s made from a rugged steel tube and features an anti-rust treatment. This frame has a structurally sound, yet lightweight design. The material used for the support poles is rust-resistant as well.
The fabric used for this tent is made from the same type of material that’s used for military tents, so you know that it’s pretty durable. It’s pure polyester too, so it’s known for its good UV protection and durability. It has a waterproof PVC coating that obtains maximum waterproofing while reducing the material’s thickness.
12. Tepui Explorer Kukenam Rooftop Tent
The Explorer Kukenam Rooftop Tent is a very flexible 4-season rooftop option, designed to keep you safe and comfortable on the go. It is perfect for adventurous families or small groups of enthusiasts that want to experience the joy of off-roading, while keeping a roof over their heads.
This model has a raised floor, which is very convenient as it allows you to stand up inside the tent. This rooftop model boasts an independent rainfly, which is an essential thing to have during the wet seasons. The rainfly can also be covered by a piece of mosquito netting, so you can use it to keep bugs out as well.
The Explorer Kukenam is one of the heaviest options in the category, which is both good and bad. It is heavy because it is made from high-quality materials, which is great for durability. However, this model is too heavy for some off-road vehicles and SUV, which means it may not be the best option for some people.
13. YAKIMA SkyRise Rooftop Tent
- Stylish design
- Lots of interior room
- Attractive price point
- Designed for a wide vehicle class
- Fits all SUV trucks and Minivans
- Quick and easy to install
- Offers a sizeable amount of rooftop space
- Extensive customer support
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Smoother zipper with a more material for security
Summary, of Roof Top Tents Reviews:
The Yakima SkyRise is designed for cars starting from the two-door cars up to three-door SUVs. It is easily accessible even from the back of your car if you ever want to get out of the car while it is parked on the roof of your car.
It has a cool collapsible design that enhances its overall appearance and makes it less of an eye sore when it is parked on the top of your vehicle.
14. Tepui Explorer Autana Rooftop Tent
- Two hatches for extra access
- More length and width space than most
This rooftop camper is best for those who want a tent that gives them plenty of room.
It can house two to three people quite easily, especially when you use the extra space inside of the tent.
The tent is designed with an easy slide-through two-door frame for easier access when you need it.
15. Rightline Gear Truck Tents
- Very lightweight & portable
- Absolutely waterproof
- Very efficient privacy
- You need a pickup truck
- The rainfly may catch a little bit of wind
- The price is a little steep
If you are an avid camper and looking for a way to sleep under the stars with your family every night, then the Rightline Gear Haul-Over Truck Tent is a great option to consider for your next purchase. This excellent truck tent is ideal for camping with your family.
An excellent product, this tent boasts a very portable design. Coming in at 8 pounds, the tent is very lightweight and portable, making it easy to carry even if you are on your own. The tent has a nice size of 5 feet by 7 feet and offers a very large vestibule area of 5 feet by 2.5 feet.
The tent is also easy to install. It comes with Web straps that allow you to stake the tent down easily. It makes it a lot easier for you to set up the tent and be ready for the night on your own. The tent is also wind-resistant as it can withstand crosswinds up to 25 mph.
16. Tepui Explorer Ayer Rooftop Tent
- Sleeps 3 adults comfortably
- Constructed of sturdy aluminum
- Privacy, rain, and bug protection
- Works well with luggage/accessories
- Attachment points for LED lights
The Explorer Ayer is a popular choice of tent with travelers, backpackers and campers alike. The tent has a spacious, living room-like living space that provides comfort and privacy.
The Explorer is ideal for base camping and for small family outings. Set-up is an easy process and typically does not require help.
The Explorer Ayer is made of aluminum with a washable mattress. It has a large awning to provide shade (with optional awning color), clear windows on all four sides and a skylight that provides bright light in the morning.
17. Ranger Overland Rooftop Tent Outdoor Camping SUV Roof Top Tent
- Can fit three campers
- Spacious and comfortable with large windows
- Made of heavy-duty oxford cloth with reinforced stitching and Heavy-duty zippers.
- High-quality steel frame
- Taped seams to prevent leakage
- Double stitching for added strength
- 4 Mariam canopy design with ventilation
- Anti-UV coating fabric to protect from harmful ultra-violet rays and heat.
- Comes with a rain fly
- Easy to install
- Mariam canopy is not waterproof so it is hard to use during heavy rainfall
- There is no lock to secure the zippers
- Does not fit perfectly on most SUVs without modification
The Ranger Overland Rooftop tent is one of the best rooftop tents that is available for the price. It is spacious and comfortable, has a large door and window, comes with ventilation, and has a rain fly. What’s more, the frame is very durable and can hold up to 300lbs.
It features large windows so that you can enjoy the view even when you’re inside. The windows are very large and made of durable oxford material, which resists leakage.
18. Freespirit Recreation Adventure Series Manual 3 Person 55 Inch Rooftop Tent
- Easy and quick to set up
- Large outdoor patio area
- Good waterproofing
- Protected from the elements
- Could be stronger
- Difficult to adjust the tension on the side walls
The Freespirit Recreation Adventure Series 3 Person Rooftop Tent is a good choice if you’re planning to go camping in the warmer months. With this tent, you’ll never have to worry about being rained on, so you can spend more time exploring.
Indeed, with an adjustable side wall, you can even enjoy a glass of wine. Weatherproof zippers prevent water from getting inside, while dual entrance doors allow easy access in and out of the tent.
The Freespirit does well on moderate duty with its 150D polyester and 2.5 mil thickness, but it should be noted that it might not hold up well against very rough weather. In that case, you can always set up a tarp or ground tent for extra protection.
19. Napier Outdoors Sportz #99949 2 Person Avalanche Truck Tent
X 4 ft.
This truck tent is perfect for three kinds of people: those that camp in their pickup, those that need extra space to move around, and those that live near the beach and have beach toys.
The Tent is convenient to use. It is set up in less than a minute. The fabric offers greater durability.
20. Rooftop Tent
- Compact design with built-in rainfly
- Boasts a built-in vent
- Good amount of sleeping room for two people
- Easy to install and store
- Can be installed with the ladder in or out
- Carries the weight of two adults easy
- Light weight material, making it a good option for those who will be travelling
- Vent is thin plastic, so a layer of plastic would be nice to cover it up at night
- You must purchase separate tie downs for the rain flap (not a big deal)
- The vent is tight and can be difficult to open
- There are no pockets or storage areas for necessities
- The fabric is thin, but durable.
(Also fits Toyota Fj Cruiser)
The Koolspools rooftop tent is made for almost all types of vehicles, including trucks, jeeps, SUVs, RVs and crossovers. That makes it a good option for families having companies that need to bring more people than the vehicle can hold.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best roof top tent to buy?
For most people, a roof top tent is great because:
It’s so incredibly mobile.
Its compact size makes it very easy to load into your vehicle.
You can easily move it between vehicles.
It’s super easy to set up and take down.
It’s a lot more affordable than a larger RV.
It allows you to bring companions with you wherever you go.
It’s great for quick weekend trips away from home.
You can use it almost anywhere.
No need to worry about the weather (snow, rain, hail, ice, etc.)
The roof top tent allows you to camp or stay over in your favorite outdoor location in luxury. You can also save money by staying at campgrounds or hotels that switch off from their peak season.
Are roof top tents worth it?
Roof top tents are interesting inventions for Jeep owners. They are very versatile and can transform your vehicle into anything from a living space for your family to a tailgating party on wheels. If you can afford one, and there is a good spot for it to sit, I would definitely recommend getting a roof top tent.
What is the best hard shell roof top tent?
The Best Hard Shell Roof Top Tent and Overall Best Roof Top Tents for Outdoors The best hard shell roof top tent in the market is the Huppa Hecka. it's one of the few roof rack tents that comes with a ladder, two side windows, two mesh windows, and two air vents for each person. This model comes with a detachable interior tent, two unique doors, and a spacious interior tent. It is large enough to sleep five comfortably and can also carry up to 150 lbs of cargo. It's also the best hard shell roof top tent because of its for $$$. The most common and affordable roof top tents are soft shell roof top tents. These are among the lightest and most compact but also more fragile. If you're the type who is always going on trips, the soft top tents are your best bet. They are easy to set up and very easy to carry around.
Are Kings roof top tents any good?
My three-person Kings Roof Top Tent is a crowd pleaser when I am camping with friends and family. It’s very roomy and provides beautiful views from high off the ground. The tent is easy to assemble. And the included extra storage bag is a great bonus.
You will like this tent, too. In fact, we were impressed with King’s interior tent design. The tent is made to be spacious and it sits high above the ground for ventilation. It’s a great place to hang out with friends and family and provides incredible views at the same time.
The tent also includes a water-resistant rainfly which provides extra protection in inclement weather. I only wish the tent was just a little lighter. Still, I highly recommend this tent and you can’t beat the price!
The best roof top tent for you depends in large part on what you are planning to do with it and where you will be using it. If you’re looking for a roof top tent to take to the beach or the campground, you’ll want something simple and lightweight. If you’re looking for something to use when you road trip, the best tent on the market will be something tougher and more protected.
|Guide Gear Full Size Truck Tent||Best Overall|
|Napier Backroadz Truck Tent||Budget Pick|
|Tepui Explorer Kukenam Rooftop Tent||Upgrade Pick|